Scarecrows at Callaway
We want to invite you to participate in our First Annual “Scarecrows at Callaway” Event beginning October 5th. Your company’s scarecrow will be on display at Callaway Gardens until November 2nd!
This unique advertising opportunity encourages local businesses to get creative in their design and construction of a scarecrow “representative” of their company.
Callaway’s Harvest Festival (October 5th) and Calloween event (October 26th) will provide premium photo opportunities and exposure for your company’s scarecrow!
Ribbons will be awarded in a variety of categories, including: “Most Creative”, “Most Unique”, “Funniest”, “Best Design”, and “Most Artistic.”
The $200 entry fee will serve as a donation to the Ida Cason Callaway Foundation and will specifically fund new interpretive educational signs for Callaway’s Historic Pioneer Log Cabin.
Callaway Gardens was conceived and created by Cason J. Callaway and his wife, Virginia Hand Callaway, for the benefit of mankind. Today, Callaway Gardens – a public, educational, horticultural, and charitable organization – is owned and operated by the non-profit Ida Cason Callaway Foundation. We are in the process of expanding the educational opportunities at the Historic Pioneer Log Cabin as well as other areas in the Garden for guests, school groups, and families.
- All entries should fit within a 5-foot cubic area including all of its extension limbs, width, or length.
- The builder of the scarecrow must provide a method for attaching the scarecrow to the support post.
- A rebar fence post will be provided for staking.
- A 2” diameter PVC pipe is STRONGLY recommended through the middle of the scarecrow body or the back. This will facilitate the installation on the post to give both structure and stability to your scarecrow and its limbs.
- If using PVC is not conducive to your design, then you MUST provide another way to attach your scarecrow to the post.
- Please identify your scarecrow with a small, removeable tag.
- Carved pumpkins or other living materials that will not last the duration of the exhibition are discouraged.
- Please do not include perishable or valuable materials in your scarecrow exhibit. Callaway Gardens is not responsible for lost or damaged items.
- Callaway will provide an 18” x 24” sign advertising your business. This will be staked in the ground near your hand-crafted scarecrow.
Scarecrow Installation and Breakdown:
- Scarecrows can be brought into the Gardens for installation Tuesday (October 1st) and Wednesday (October 2nd) from 1 to 4 pm.
- The gate will be aware of your arrival on these dates. Please report to the Historic Pioneer Log Cabin and there will be a staff member assisting with location for set-up.
- Scarecrow pick up will occur on Tuesday (November 5th) and Wednesday (November 6th) from 1 to 4 pm. Scarecrows left after this time frame will be discarded by Callaway Gardens.